This organization is subject to critical infrastructure protection regulations and requires strict access controls and auditable records. With a large number of contractors requiring intermittent access to their facilities, lost access cards were an all too frequent event, that created security risks and administration tasks to verify the worker and issue a new card. These issues were compounded during major maintenance, were hundreds of temporary workers mobilized to site and often lost access cards during the contract.
This customer was looking for a solution that put badge replacement tasks back in the hands of the worker, but also locked in compliance and security.
RightCrowd has developed a self-service kiosk for lost and misplaced access cards that is simple, intuitive, and secure. Using an embedded touchscreen the employee or contractor can log in using their credentials. Once authenticated, the kiosk can then dispense a site access card to the employee with access privileges matching those of their regular card. The employee’s regular card is automatically deactivated at this time to ensure the lost/forgotten card is not used by someone else.
If the employee indicates their card was forgotten, the newly issued card is only activated for 24 hours (or until the end of that day, depending on configuration), and their original card is only temporarily deactivated. When the employee arrives at the lobby the following morning, they can authenticate themselves using their temporary card, then return this card into the kiosk. At this time, their original badge will be reactivated.
As a result of its deep integration with the physical access control system, RightCrowd is able to replicate an employee’s or contractor’s access card privileges in near real-time. RightCrowd is able to authenticate an employee or contractor via their system access credentials through an integration into the organization’s LDAP system. RightCrowd’s bridging of the physical access control and IT business system domains makes this automated functionality possible.
By using the RightCrowd self-service kiosk, employees can be provisioned with new badges much faster than manual processes and lock in regulatory compliance.
- Improved control of access compliance
- Reduce the staffing costs for reception management staff
- Complete integration with the enterprise physical access control system in order to ensure records about temporary or replacement cards are properly synchronized and auditable
- Complete automation of lost or forgotten access cards replacement for employees and contractors, reducing the need for additional reception staffing
- Number of kiosks can be scaled to reduce queues during busy visitor periods
- Secure authentication of employees and contractors using their regular system login credentials, supplemented by challenge questions
- Employees and contractors receive temporary or replacement access cards with the same access privileges as their original cards
- Reports regarding the use of temporary access cards to replace lost/forgotten cards can be created by employee/contractor or department for billing purposes